Diploma in Disaster Management
Overall Course Overview:
This integrated course defines humanitarian response within the framework of an understanding of development, with vulnerability and disaster risk reduction as an integral part of development. This program recognizes the vulnerabilities faced by the poor and marginalized and the disproportionate impact of disasters endured by them in the developing world. In this program, the study of disaster risk reduction, disaster response, and post-disaster recovery will be grounded in the values of justice, equity, and social inclusion. This course addresses all stages of disaster management comprehensively and holistically; including:
1. Pre-disaster preparedness and mitigation,
2. Rescue and relief in the context of disaster and
3. Post-disaster rehabilitation, reconstruction, and recovery.
This Diploma Course in Disaster Management is designed to impart domain knowledge, capacities, and skills to:
• Demonstrate a critical understanding of key concepts in disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response
• Recognize issues, debates, and challenges arising in the relationship between the paradigm of development and disasters
• Critically evaluate disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response policy and practice from multiple perspectives
• Develop an understanding of standards of humanitarian response and practical relevance in specific types of disasters and conflict situations
• Critically understand the strengths and weaknesses of disaster management approaches, planning, and programming in different countries, particularly their home country or the countries they work in, and
• Respond to disaster risk reduction initiatives and disasters in an effective, humane and sustainable manner.
This course is designed specifically for development organizations.
There are four assignments (continuous assessment tests), a research paper and one examination to be offered at the end of the course. Assignments account for 40%, research paper counts for 30% and Examinations account for 30% of the mark. Upon completion of the course, you shall be issued a Diploma Certificate and a course transcript.
Certificate and Transcripts will be sent after successful completion of the course.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 26 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes