DIPLOMA OF ADVANCED STUDIES IN HUMANITARIAN ACTION
Objectives of the course
To provide training in humanitarian action, disaster prevention, preparedness, and response and thereby enhance human resource capacity for managing the humanitarian emergencies arising from natural disasters and complex emergencies worldwide.
More specifically, at the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the politico-historical foundations of humanitarianism, the changing nature of humanitarian crises, and the various forms of humanitarian action.
- Widen their conception of humanitarianism by acknowledging the existence of other philanthropic, charity, and faith-based endeavors
- Understand the ethical, normative, and legal aspects of humanitarianism including the overlap between humanitarianism, militarism, and sanctions
- Identify the various actors of humanitarian action and understand the political economy of the field
- Conceptualize humanitarianism as a distinct mode of governing and understand its link with border control policies and security regimes.
Duration 8 Months
Monthly zoom sessions with the course moderators
Mode of learning
- Lectures 31
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 24 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes